Bahá'í.FYI is a place for friends of all stripes and walks of life to gather and kickstart further friendships and elevated conversation. This space was created for friendly and respectful discussion surrounding, but not limited to, the Bahá'í Faith. Everyone is welcome to join: if you have questions, or would just like to get to know some Bahá'ís - come on in! Keep in mind that all comments made by individuals in the discussions that arise on the server do not necessarily represent the official views of the Bahá'í Faith. A list of online resources on the Faith is available towards the end of this note for your reference. Meanwhile, here are a few ground rules to keep in mind as you engage in the conversations in our community:
1. Be nice.
“A kindly tongue is the lodestone of the hearts of men. It is the bread of the spirit, it clotheth the words with meaning, it is the fountain of the light of wisdom and understanding”
- Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh
2. Keep all language, media content and external links posted to the discussion channels appropriate and safe for work.
As a rule of thumb, if it contains nudity, gore, crude or violent language - chances are it does not belong here. If you are unsure if the content you are about to post is appropriate, you are welcome to consult with one of the admins :smiley:
3. Everyone’s point of view is welcome!
We are a diverse group of individuals with varying opinions and interpretations of the writings. Do your best to approach all discussion with a detached attitude and assuming best intent on behalf of everyone involved.
"The members thereof must take counsel together in such wise that no occasion for ill-feeling or discord may arise. This can be attained when every member expresseth with absolute freedom his own opinion and setteth forth his argument. Should anyone oppose, he must on no account feel hurt for not until matters are fully discussed can the right way be revealed. The shining spark of truth cometh forth only after the clash of differing opinions."
- Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá (guidance on discussions within Spiritual Assemblies)
4. We are all embarked on a sincere quest for spiritual understanding of the world.
Please keep in mind that this is a server dedicated to the Baha’i Faith and as such be mindful of tone and word choice. All participants in discourse are expected to employ an honest effort to keep up a spirit of consultation. Refrain from personal attacks on individuals and attacks on figures and institutions of the Faith. It is most conducive to the advancement of our collective understanding to approach all discussion, including discussion surrounding topics we may personally disagree with or question, from the perspective of seeking out the wisdom that the teachings of the Faith have to offer and the purpose behind their existence.
“Nothing whatever can, in this Day, inflict a greater harm upon this Cause than dissension and strife, contention, estrangement and apathy, among the loved ones of God.”
- Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh
5. Report any abuse or spam to the admins of the server.
For a more comprehensive dive into what Bahá'í personal conduct on the Internet might look like, some suggestions are compiled for your reference here: http://bahai-library.com/pdf/b/bia_guidelines_internet_communications.pdf
6. The following is the path of action if the administrators feel you are in violation of our community guidelines:
- Friendly warning.
- Consultation. The admin(s) will have a quick chat with you on the side to make sure we are all on the same ground regarding the server rules and purpose.
- Removal from server and ban. This action can occur without a communicated warning upon third offense.
7. Any attempt to circumnavigate a server ban/ban evasion will result in an immediate ban.
8. Offenses that are unprecedented and/or malicious in spirit will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, at the discretion and judgment of the server admins.A note on sources:
There are some websites, YouTube channels, and publications out there that are created to attack the Bahá'í Faith and generate disunity rather than to contribute to productive discourse. These sources are malicious in intent and misrepresent the Bahá'í Faith, its institutions, its history, and its mission. We ask everyone to abstain from using them in discussions on this server. We understand that it can be easy to accidentally come across questionable sources online, so we encourage everyone to consult with the admins regarding the sources they are using if there is any lingering doubt about whether or not the source in question is appropriate and in good faith. Remember: it is OK to bring up controversial topics for discussion; posing sincere questions and seeking wisdom in the writings is encouraged. On the other hand, purposefully injecting statements and sources that misrepresent the Faith into conversation in order to stir up conflict is inappropriate. We are here to engage in collective learning and personal growth; every conversation should strive to be in the spirit of consultation.